Friday, August 30, 2013

Alluring: If I Stay


How am I supposed to decide this?

Gayle Forman's If I Stay is an excellent and interesting novel lingering in the YA contemporary genre that focuses on the matters of life and death.

Most adore this book from beginning to end because of the emotional grip it has on readers. Sadly, I am not one of them.

The characters are all admirable and charismatic yet throughout the whole of the book, they felt...flat and conventional. They are helium balloons that I've desperately tried to hold onto but just cannot.

Forman's writing is brought it up. It possesses this certain consistency that allowed me to flow well with the Mia's sentimentality that surprises you with her present.

Life might take you down different roads. But each of you gets to decide which one to take. 

If I Stay deals with choosing to remain or let go (as you've noticed by the title, obviously). I believe this tough and important decision isn't asserted enough as I expected it to be. Maybe because I am apathetic of emotions but shouldn't that be a goal? To break the unfeeling barrier and truly touch the reader's heart?

Fortunately, the presence of notes and instruments created a foundation strong enough for me to hold on to Mia's day of contemplation.

This debut is as outstanding as people say. The time allotted in reading this novel is not a waste as we weave through a web of desperation, love, and hope, flavoring music tastes in the process.


Blessed with her wants and needs, cellist Mia has it all: a life full of loving memories, numerous music, and infinite possibilities. She never expected it to disappear with Beethoven's sonatra. 

Now entangled between the battles of living and the tranquility of dying, Mia is left with only one choice that will change her future forever.

Is she willing to let everything go?

Author: Gayle Forman
Series: If I Stay
Published: 6th of April, 2010 by Speak
Genre: Young Adult > Contemporary
Format: 262 pages, physical copy (paperback)
                                                         Source: purchased








No comments:

Post a Comment