Sunday, August 25, 2013

Intriguing: The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer



My name is not Mara Dyer...

Michelle Hodkin's debut, The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer both made my eyes roll and my heart palpitate.

From the intriguing opening letter from Mara herself to the chapter prior to the event that changed it all, I was expecting a paranormal addition to my bookshelf. I was given a romance novel instead.

I have no animosity against romantic affairs but to discover that Mara's delusions and hysteria is just the background to her relationship with Noah Shaw, it was dismaying, honestly.

I was able to hold on until the bewildering end despite the surrealism and incoherence of some moments, mostly because of Hodkin's well written dialogue. It is the motive that kept me up until 12 am.

Did it answer my questions? No, not really, but it is the reason, along with ending, why I've preparing my wallet for The Evolution of Mara Dyer. (You probably noticed by now the impact of the ending so I will shut up before I spoil everyone because it is ju--)

Nevertheless its ups and downs, The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer is an exceptional and engrossing must-read novel, especially for romance readers looking for a bit of change. Plus, there is the British bad boy Noah Shaw waiting to meet you.


17-year-old Mara Dyer moves to Miami, Florida with her family to start anew, to escape the tragic 'accident' that killed her best friend. Her past doesn't let go of her, it seems to be. With an addition of mysterious and gruesome events that ties itself to Mara, will she be able to decipher the puzzle of her memory and be open enough to fall in love?

Author: Michelle Hodkin
Series: Mara Dyer
Published: 27th of September, 2011 by Simon & Schuster
Genre: Young Adult > Paranormal Romance
Format: 452 pages, physical copy (paperback)
Source: purchased



No comments:

Post a Comment