Sunday, May 10, 2015

The Heir by Kiera Cass

Goodreads
I have grown an odd sort-of love for this book, despite not having read any of its prequels. (Yep, you got that right.) The main reasons being Eadlyn and the storyline.

The next queen of Ilea lived and loved the luxurious life of being a royal. However, all the expectations and workload both made her distant and isolated that affected people's perceptions of her. She's a brat, insensitive, and selfish at times, we cannot deny that, and I can see how some can get pissed by her attitude. But for me, those are the qualities, along with her inner kindness and struggles with being the heir, that made her whole. Kiera Cass gave us a real, imperfect character who's undergoing these difficulties just to remain strong and I love her for that. If you actually look at it from Eadlyn's view, you'd see where she's coming from. It really is not easy being a princess, let alone shouldering a country. (I acknowledge you, Princess Mia of Genovia!)

"There are some things you don't learn about yourself until you let someone else into the intimate places of your heart."

As Eadlyn undergoes her Selection, a love story is to be expected, but I was surprised to find more than one. She had set her mind on postponing the idea of marriage as much as possible and had thought of ways to get rid of all these strange boys in her home. It was refreshing how it's not your typical I'm-looking-for-the-one romance. Her relationship with each (chosen) Selected developed a deeper meaning as a piece of her true self slowly shows to the world. It was well paced and Kiera Cass made it completely not overwhelming by focusing too much on the romance aspect. I enjoyed the political side, too, and that baseball game. (Never let a dress - and a crown -  stop you from having fun.)

Eadlyn's relationship with Kile confused me a lot, though - friends with benefits? -  even though t I ship them, while moments with Henri and conversations with Erik were adorable. My heart flutters.

The Shreave family was awesome whenever they appeared. Even though Eadlyn has three brothers, each were featured one way or the other, showing enough of their personality to know them. And of course, America and Maxon. Their love is so everlasting, I'm jealous. I seriously adore all the little snippets of their Selection.

"When you know who matters most to you, giving things up, even yourself, doesn't really feel like a sacrifice." 

The ending was another surprise and a jolt to the chest. (Pun intended?) One half of me wanted to slap Ahren in the face so bad and the other wants to hug him for following his heart. But seriously, look what you've done!

I also want to scream at Kiera Cass for leaving us for with such a cliffhanger and give her kisses on the cheek and a million bear hugs for adding more to this trilogy.

Can someone please fast forward me to the release of book 5?


No comments:

Post a Comment