Thursday, June 2, 2016

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern


I have heard many great things about The Night Circus and I couldn’t understand why my past self ignored those hints and didn’t read this book as soon as possible.

Slowly but surely
The book began from the very very beginning, as in Celia and Marco as little children, still unknown to the world of magic. While it provided much background for later on, the pacing was quite slow but the details were thorough. There were times when I’d spent days leaving the book untouched. As The Night Circus and the stories within them grow, however, you also grow on them.

Definitely out of the box and beyond the limits 
One of the hooks that had me flipping pages and pulling all nighters was the eccentricity of it all. The whole world inside The Night Circus, not just the Cirque du Reves, explored all the nooks and crannies of creativity and stretched the fabric of possibility. Nothing felt impossible.
A show without an audience is nothing, after all. In the response of the audience, that is where the power of performance lives.
I would like to migrate to Les Cirque des Reves ASAP
To pull off such an incredible feat is to place in a universe equally incredible. Erin Morgenstern grabs the readers and puts them in the tents of the circus to explore, in the wet sidewalk to brave the rain, in Chandresh’s mansion to enjoy a party with her words. She added so much life that I’d truly hope that everything inside the book was real.

Celia x Marco = OTFP (one true f*cking pair)
Two opponents fighting each other with creativity and magic in a most complex, mysterious game. It was interesting to see both sides – Celia and Marco – unfold independently and eventually, with each other. I also had fun figuring out and discovering which work of wonder was who’s.

Celia and Marco lived in different environments and Erin Morgenstern did a great job portraying so. Their interactions were limited, especially at the start, and it was so frustrating (in a good way) to have them miss each other at almost every opportunity. That suspense definitely made their actual first meeting as opponents so incredibly perfect.

Two opponents fighting each other with creativity and magic in a most complex, mysterious game – there was no surprise that they’re going to fall for each other. Normally, that’s one giant turnoff for me but the way Celia and Marco conversed and interacted had the right amount of tension and attraction that made them so compatible, it glossed over a few clichés. I do wish there’s more moments of them together as their relationship blossomed. Their whole love story was quite rushed.

Even then, through their dialogue and reactions you can feel a hidden history with them that added mystery.

How did I become a Rêveurs?























"I have spent a great deal of my life to keep myself in control," Celia says, leaning her head against his shoulder. "To know myself inside out, everything kept in perfect order. I lose that when I'm with you. That frightens me, and - " ...
"It frightens me how much I like it," Celia finishes, turning her face back to his. "How tempting it is to lose myself in you. To let go. To let you keep me from breaking chandeliers rather than constantly worrying about it, myself."  

The non players of the game
The Night Circus had substance not just because of Celia, Marco, and their game but also the supporting characters – such as Tsukiko, Chandresh, and Isabel, naming a few – that created Les Cirque des Reves and made it whole. Their entrance into the Celia and/or Marco’s lives seemed so mundane that it’s a real surprise when events just start to turn. Through their eyes, we see a world blind to magic and it is refreshing and interesting.

The next players of the game (or are they?) 
Aside from Celia and Marco, we also meet Bailey, a young boy torn between dreams and duty, through a magical twist of fate. How the events managed to tie together in one beautiful bow as we went forward in time eludes me and I praise Erin Morgenstern for it. She managed to do it so seamlessly.

Wrapped in a rainbow, hologram bow that spouts unicorns and rainbows 
The ending was mindblowing. It was an intricate and complex solution to their pressing problem but appeared so simple and enchanting.

"Esse quam videri," Celia says, "To be, rather than to seem." 

I’ve held back a lot of words to keep this review as spoiler-less as possible. The Night Circus deserves as much mystery as it could get. I do guarantee that it is a rollercoaster of mystery and drama and fun, fueled by magic and love, and it’s a thrill worth riding. Good job, Erin Morgenstern.











Bubbly by Colbie Caillat

It starts in my toes
And I crinkle my nose
Wherever it goes
I always know
That you make me smile
Please stay for a while now
Just take your time
Wherever you go

The rain is falling on my window pane
But we are hiding in a safer place
Under covers staying dry and warm
You give me feelings that I adore


This is Gospel by Panic! At The Disco

If you love me let me go
If you love me let me go
‘Cause these words are knives and often leave scars
The fear of falling apart
And truth be told, I never was yours
The fear, the fear of falling apart

Oh, the fear of falling apart
Oh, the fear, the fear of falling apart

No comments:

Post a Comment