Wednesday, September 28, 2016

MIBF Bound Buys: How I Fell in Love with Fullybooked


So I spent the past few weeks dying and crying because I wouldn't be able to go to the 37th Manila International Bookstore. And then at the morning of the very last day itself, 18th of September, my brother was willing to drive my sister and I to SMX (mostly because his gym was in MoA too but okay you get the point).

Thankfully, Report Card Day was also that weekend and I had pretty decent grades (and it's also my birth month) so my mother had provided me with P 2,000 worth of funds. No matter the traffic that day, I was a happy child.

We got to the SMX Convention Center later than expected because nothing beats the Manila gridlock and my sister and I ended up rounding the giant building just to get to the end of the entrance line, as in we were in the delivery trucks/loading/unloading area. By then, my sister had been blabbering on about having a time limit at around 6pm (it was already 5pm) which got me really anxious if we're ever going to get inside and finish everything in time. Surprisingly enough, as one of the longest lines I've ever been too (queuing for the Victoria Aveyard signing was pure torture), this wasn't stagnant and we'd move forward every few seconds. Eventually, after passing by cosplayers and satisfied book shoppers, we got to the entrance. Feeling that cold air conditioning was like being brought back to life.




If the world's prettiest cities have a million different bookstores, my country has 2 main companies that dominate the book selling field. (By dominating, I meant all malls either has one or both bookstore branches.) That is, in fact, Fullybooked and National Bookstore.

One of my friends had said that this MIBF, Fullybooked was having 20% off. Of course, at the time, I was further disheartened because I thought there was no chance I'd go and even at the actual event, I had thought the sale was for selected books only.

OR SO I THOUGHT.

I got 3 books in total from Fullybooked - one of which is probably the thickest book I own so far. (Ignoring my Grade 10 Trig book.)

Lady Midnight by Cassandra Clare
Yes, this is the thickest book I got. While I'm not as invested in the modern day Shadowhunters as I was with their Victorian ancestors, MIBF was probably the only opportunity I had to buy the P 575 book. I might as well take it. I'm putting my trust in you, Cassandra Clare.

Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo
The only works I know of Leigh Bardugo are her Shadow & Bone series and after an accidental spoiling mishap, I was no longer in line to read those. Given that we went at the last day and around 3 hours before closing, it was a surprise that the shelf where I found Six of Crows was half empty (compared to all the shelves beside it that were completely negative space). Honestly, I just grabbed it for its thickness but my fellow book blogger Julienne constantly assures me that it was worth it. 

The School for Good and Evil by Soman Chainani
I am a sucker for (well-written and properly portrayed) good vs. evil stories - *ehem* superhero nerd here *ehem* - and I have been "looking" for this book for "years". I admit the cover undoubtedly reiterates its middle grade genre but the Ever After High-vibe was too much to ignore. I guess we'll see how I'll feel about it post-reading.

This haul is dubbed as a love story for a reason because for 3 thick ass expensive books plus my sister's Paulo Coehlo, I paid only P 1,294.40. One thousand, two hundred, ninety-four for 4 books. Yes, I'm still crying tears of joy right now. I was able to save P 323.60 from the original prices. When the cashier told me there's 20% off for all purchases, I couldn't help but crack a smile. 

But wait, that's not the end of this story.

Of course, my sister and I had to survive through masses of people and visit National Bookstore, where you should really not expect me to leave empty handed. 

Honestly though, the books they have I've already read most and are disinterested in some. So I spent what felt like hours scouring for anything I actually want to get my hands on. Result: that dizzying feeling when you cross your eyes for a long time - my already blind eyeballs couldn't focus on anything, literally. (Then my sister had asked me to search for this series she wanted. It's a miracle I was still standing.)

Anatomy of a Misfit by Andrea Portes
 NBS didn't have much thick books to get for a worthy discount so I just chose Anatomy of a Misfit (after some debate between Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock), my only hardbound in this haul. One of my trusted book bloggers, Hazel (Philippines represent!) has a pretty good opinion about it, so why not? Right? After having read the blurb after purchasing (it was encased in plastic when I bought the book), I'm actually having doubts as it sounds like the recent book I completely frowned upon. I'm praying real hard that it won't disappoint.
Design-wise, it definitely didn't. I cannot deny that the main reason I decided to pick it up was the color scheme and the simplicity of it the cover. Fell in love with the aesthetic. Hope I'll fall in love with the story and its characters too.

Original price was P 600 and was reduced to P 519 at the cashier. NBS didn't have a bigger sale than Fullybooked (nor a wider variety of titles), hence the name of this post, but I'd take anything, really. It'll be another blue moon before I can buy anything book related.

As of now, these are what makes up most of my TBR pile and is hopefully the solution to my endless reading slump.

I had so much fun book shopping at the MIBF and I wish I'd gotten more pictures and videos or at least saved a few more of my snaps. I guess that just means I have to come back and redeem my photo/film self next year. ;)  And of course, graciously spend my money on printed words.







No comments:

Post a Comment