Saturday, January 11, 2014

Word Play: If I Stay and Where She Went by Gayle Forman












     Word Play features music found between the narratives of a book. A song that complements the plot, characters, lines, scenes, or the book in general will be presented. Sometimes it'll be a single track or maybe even a whole playlist. This is dedicated to those who reminisce whimsical adventures and cheesy love stories                                     through the sound of music and to those who wish to do so.









This extraordinary story focuses on Mia and Adam as they battle life and death, neglect and separation for their love. Both underwent circumstances that inflicted deep wounds and unbearable pain, leaving them scarred and broken, with only their undeniable love to heal them. 

                          Spoilers for the entire series is definitely included.

                                           Consider yourself warned.



"Stay" by Rihanna feat. Mikky Ekko

Not sure how to feel about it
Something in the way you move
Makes me feel like I can't live without you
It takes me all the way
I want you to stay

Oh the reason I hold on
Oh cause I need this hole gone
Funny you're the broken one but I'm the only one who needed saving
Cause when you never see the lights it's hard to know which one of us is caving

Despite being very cliche, I find that Rihanna's Stay really captures the emotions and desperation of If I Stay. Particulary the hospital scenes - which is most of the book.

Everybody wants Mia to wake up, especially Adam. And based from all the measures he has taken and the promise he made to get his girlfriend back, we all know he just can't live a life without her - Where She Went proves that.

Mia, on the other hand, was disconcerted. The death of entire immediate family left a gaping hole in her heart and I guess, she's contemplating whether or not the people who love her is enough to make her forget. She needs saving; she just had no idea if her hero is death or life with people she loves.

"I'm not sure this is a world I belong in anymore. I'm not sure that I want to wake up."
[If I Stay by Gayle Forman]




"What About Love" by Austin Mahone

You're moving on, you say
Here I stay
Watching every night get colder
You're moving on, you say
Here I stay
I'll take this pain
Yeah, I can't, I can't

What about love?
What about our promises?
What about love?
You take it all and leave me nothing
What about love?

"You know, I thought about that a lot these last couple of years," She says in a choked voice. "About who was there for you. Who held you hand while you grieved for all that you'd lost?"

If I Stay was heartbreaking. Where She Went ripped my torn heart out and crushed it into dust. 

"I get it now.
I have to make good on my promise. To let her go. To really let her go.
To let us both go."

[Where She Went by Gayle Forman]


The story in lyrics, sounds, and notes are a pretty huge part in my life as well as books so to finally share this feature with you all is a really relieving experience. It was fun: to suddenly well up with tears and find your heart palpitating with excitement when you hear that certain song click with a story that has made a mark. And so I hope for you to enjoy and appreciate these pieces and for me to be able to do more of these.

No comments:

Post a Comment