Friday, October 31, 2014

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

To the reader who hasn't read this book, I wholeheartedly suggest that you go open that paperback -are there any hardbound copies? - and finish its 500+ pages without any external influences. Head on blind for a better experience.

But if you insist on hearing my opinions, be my guest.

Warning, I have them vague. ('Cause seriously, I know I'll end up spoiling if I don't.)




Gillian Flynn wrote one of the most mindfuckingblowing books I've ever read. And I don't think my words will justify how much it distressed and impacted me.

Gone Girl made my breathing raspy, my heart skip a beat. It made me think, made me assume, made me confused, made me suspicious (very). It made me hate this character, be impressed by that character, be disgusted by this, pity that, and all this other emotions. (To those who read, you know what I mean.)

At some point, it even got me scared of getting married.

It was a rollercoaster ride of a novel, with well-written protagonists/antagonists - they were created so realistically that you tend to feel a certain emotion towards them, as stated above - an unconventional, driven storyline, and a very good prose - you can easily distinguish the narrator, without forgetting who's talking.

I only wish the supporting characters were a bit more fleshed out though, especially Go, Amy's parents, and even, Desi. 

All in all, Gone Girl is one of the books I'll never forget. And it's definitely not for kids. 

No comments:

Post a Comment