Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Top Ten Tuesday: Bookish Turn offs (basically, what gets on my nerves while reading)

This is a weekly feature created by The Broke and the Bookish which I enjoy writing (but really don't get to, recently). Because lists!

We all have those certain aspects in a novel that we pushes our buttons. A lot.

1. Over-the-top Love Triangles (especially in not-contemporary)
There are quite a lot of exceptions to this rule, like The Infernal Devices, but there are also a lot that revels in my number one turn off. Sometimes authors tend to focus more on the love triangle - who will you choose? - that the main problem and more important happenings gets overlooked. It gets all about him or him, her or her, him or her.

What makes this turn off worse is when the MC gets really horny. I'm serious. When she's making out with this one, she's thinking of the other. When he's admiring her, the other is at the back of his mind. Those really piss me off. A lot. I mean, there's an entirely different thing that deserves your immediate attention than whose hair is fluffier.

2. "The Chosen One"
The Harry Potter series have stretched this title to its end and I believe that's where we put the line. I'm not saying to get rid of The Chosen One altogether - sometimes you actually need it - but authors should find a way to veer off from the typical "saving the day then happily ever after" story line because it's lacking its originality.

In contrary to this turn off is The Rest of Us Just Live Here by Patrick Ness which I am so excited about. It'll be released in August 2015 and this time we get to look into the lives of those not chosen, the forgotten ones, the best friends and the classmates.

3. Horny MCs
As mentioned in #1, nothing is more annoying than an MC who can't stop thinking sexually thinking about someone else's body.

4. Info Dumps
We all hate these. No explanation needed.

5. Formula 1 Love Stories
Maybe it's just how I perceive things but I do not believe in love at first sight. You can't love someone without knowing them well. This is not a race, people. For once, I side with Elsa.

6. ????
A few normal questions is fine. E.g. What is happening? Who would do this? Why the hell? A paragraph full of these is not.

Yes, The Scorch Trials, I am talking about you.

I always prefer action-packed novels with a right amount of brakes in between. Having a mystery and annoying MC that asks pointless questions is just dragging and boring.

7. Evil Monologue
Oh yes. Doofenshmirtz is apparently not alone in the literary world.

8. Fortune Tellers
In other words, predictable. It's one of the reasons why I tend to lean away from contemporaries (and romance movies). Gayle Forman and Stephanie Perkins are exceptions. John Green has yet to impress me.

9. Prophecies
Especially those rhyming ones with deep synonyms of normal words. This is much like #2, actually.

10. Stereotypes
Need I say more?

Got any bookish turn offs that really deserves a star less in rating? 

1 comment:

  1. Horny MCs OMG JUST NO. Def agree with most of the items on your list, Nicole. Great post! :)

    ReplyDelete