Sunday, May 17, 2015

Shades of Earth by Beth Revis

Goodreads
We left Amy and Elder and the people of Godspeed as they strapped into the shuttle to head to the new world. It's a planet so much like the Sol-Earth Amy grew up in and the colony dreamed living in. It's finally time to be free of the walls, to be safe from its claustrophobia. Beforehand, Orion warned them of monsters on the ground and when things started to veer off course, without the walls, are they safe out in the open? Can they really call this alien planet, home?


Centauri-Earth
The world building was beyond this world. Literally and figuratively. Centauri-Earth was a lot alike with Sol-Earth (this planet where you're standing on right now, yes, that's it). Why else would they even send a colony there if it isn't? However, it was not Sol-Earth and Beth Revis showed that difference creatively and even, scarily. There's so much unknown hidden behind the familiar in Centauri-Earth, it gave me the creeps. Especially the purple flowers. I have experienced sleep paralysis, much like the effects of those thankfully fictional plants, and it's no fun. 

Amy and Elder
I cannot deny how much I am continuously impressed by how Beth Revis was able to write and maintain dual POVs in first person. That's no easy task, I tried. Amy's voice was very distinct from Elder and vice versa, not just because they're in different situations. Amy's welcoming yet assertive while Elder was reluctant yet strong. Even when together, I could gladly note the differences. 

I really enjoyed their dynamic in this book. Amy was honestly confusing about her relationship with Elder in A Million Suns. But this time, I appreciated both their loyalty, trust, and honestly in each other. Whenever one would have issues with other people, they'd always look to the other first. It was touching.

Highlight to see possible spoilers. I especially loved how Beth Revis put into Amy's words their night together. (No surprise there, really. Is this still a spoiler? I wouldn't have sex in an alien planet, though, if I were them.)

"There is only him and me and this thing between us that I cannot  name, not out loud, but that my heart knows is love."

Who are the monsters?
The whole big revelation about the monsters of Centauri-Earth took me by a slight surprise. It was, in all honesty, partly wasn't what I expected; it was pretty low. Basically, Beth Revis dumped a bit too much information and back story about the monsters that it just felt..."okay, how sad" in the end. 

It was overwhelming with "what the frex!" and typical emotions in the last few chapters, especially with Elder, that Amy's voice lost its touch on me. It was frustrating that both you and character were both numb at the same time. Because I mean really, you just did that then we're suddenly doing this without dealing with that other thing! NOT. COOL.

So here's an extremely spoiler filled rundown of Beth Revis evilly playing with our emotions. which is just wrong...(and also, very good!). Go ahead and highlight.

She "killed off" Elder. Yes, she did. And along with every body else in Centauri-Earth, and also here in Sol-Earth, fell for it because Elder pretty much saved an entire planet. So yeah, I was coming to terms with it, despite the fact that Amy was granted nothing but a cry to sleep as a grieving period (poor Amy!), so I was expecting a statue in memory of Elder or something. And then, guess what, Elder's frexing alive. (I love how I can swear without actually having to swear. Haha.) 

That moment though, my heart just melted like ice cream.

"He blinks. Touches the side of my face, near my eyes. My eyes that are blue now, not green. With oval irises.

'I'm still me,' I say, because my greatest fear now is that he doesn't want a hybrid Amy.

He cocks an eyebrow. 'You think I care if your eyes are blue or green? I just care about you.' His hand slips down my arm, and he wraps his pinky finger around mine.

'You cam back to me,' I say, my voice breaking over unshed tears of joy.e

'I'll always come back to you,' he tells me pulling me close.

'Always.'"

Can I please have my own Elder too?

Basically, I have so much love for this books - and this series, in general - and even more love for Amy and Elder. Even though I was let down by the crammed up ending, the former made up for it. 

Bonus! Here's a WordPlay (it's a feature of mine, which you can check out) for Shades of Earth. Coincidentally enough, I was reading on my phone when this song played on the radio.

Risk It All by The Vamps


I'd rather crash, I'd rather crawl
Than never have your love at all
With only bricks to break my fall
For you, I'd risk it all

Doesn't that sound like Elder to you?

"I might have the whole world now, but it's not enough if I don't get to share it with her."


No comments:

Post a Comment