Sunday, January 31, 2016

Glass Sword (Red Queen #2) by Victoria Aveyard

Rating: 3 
I loved Red Queen but sadly, I didn't love Glass Sword that much. As much as I don't want to admit it, it was more of a bridge book than anything.

The aftermath of Red Queen that I was waiting for was barely there. Glass Sword was in a continuous loop of running, getting caught, escaping, running, and so on.
"I am your rightful king, Silver-born for centuries," he replies, seething, "The only reason you're still breathing is because I can't burn the oxygen from this room."

Maven, the traitor, the villain, the evil antagonist's presence was merely a portrait hung on walls in every town. Literally. His character in Glass Sword was created by just testimonies. Let's just say, I was captivated by the young, innocent Maven, much like Mare, and the sequel failed to convince me otherwise.

Glass Sword focused more on Mare's character development and seemed to only use the storyline as a plot device. She was darker than she's ever been in Red Queen and even more as her journey progresses. Mare was so much of a flawed character, which I love. You can feel her paranoia and immense distrust, as well as her loneliness. But eventually it got real annoying real fast. All she focuses on is herself and her revenge that she's bringing herself to her own downfall, dragging everybody with her. (I totally agree with Cameron Cole.)
"No heart can be ever be truly understood. Not even your own."
I don't have anything against character-driven plots but Glass Sword drove through Mare a bit too much that I am oblivious to everything else as she is. There are so many storylines that were just left fleshed out. (Shade and Farley, anyone?)

Glass Sword wasn't all bad - I cherished every MareCal moment - but it definitely went below my expectations.

No comments:

Post a Comment