Saturday, December 24, 2016

F*CK 2016 EPISODE 2: Books for Effective Torture



Ah yes, we all have been there. Reading that book you want to throw out the window like it's carrying ebola, that book your face had turned sore from cringing at, that book you just want to see burn.

If I were a detective interrogating a criminal, these are the books I would smack endlessly in their face (these titles also make great firewood and are listed randomly):

1 The One that Should be Ashes

Image result for let the sky fallI, without a doubt, fucking hate this book. I never thought I would hate anything related to literature (minus all the math textbooks) until I met the horny-ass Vane and the pitiful AF Audra. I can't even fucking discuss without dying inside at the existence of this book. Protagonists were shit and so was their love story and their whole world, basically. GAAAAAAH. If you want a better worded explanation, read my review and not this book.








2 The One that Cannot be Answered

Image result for scorch trialsThere is a balance between mystery solving of the characters and mystery solving of the reader and in this sequel, there is just fucking none of either. Why? WELL, ISN'T THAT THE QUESTION OF THE BOOK.










The One that Should've Been More

Image result for midnight star bookOh how disappointed I was with this finale. I love Marie Lu. Legend Trilogy was right up there with The Infernal Devices and Six of Crows. Rose Society was one of those books I absolutely enjoyed and invested in, without even reading the first book. That's saying something. Then to my surprise, the last installment was released (I'm not up to date) and to even more of a surprise, it was bordering on shit.

I read a review on Goodreads that basically summed up all my confused emotions post-reading Midnight Star because this book couldn't possibly have been written by an author skilled with world-building and emotional, in-depth characters. What we got might as well have been labeled the first draft. There was so much potential in every story line and character we love, especially in the final book and yet they're all untouched, deep underground because someone did not put enough effort to dig deeper.

4 The One that Didn't Work Out 

Image result for anatomy of a misfitTo be honest, I didn't get past the first chapter. Guess why.











The One that was Confusing 

Image result for hush hushI 98% did not like Hush Hush. The 2% left is for Patch. Because he's the only solid mythos in this book.


World building was close to nonexistent. Nora was annoying AF. Characters' actions and arcs were disconnected. This book was tolerable and I've had enough of it, thank you and goodbye.






There are varying degrees of hate and of love. These titles, for me, simply fell on the former. Now move over to Julienne for her list.

No comments:

Post a Comment