Thursday, December 19, 2013

Word Play: The Infernal Devices by Cassandra Clare












Word Play features music found between the narratives of a book. A song that complements the plot, characters, lines, scenes, or the book in general will be presented. Sometimes it'll be a single track or may be even a whole playlist. This is dedicated to those who reminisce whimsical adventures and cheesy love stories through the sound of music and to those who wish to do so.




















The prequel series to The Mortal Instruments centers around Tessa Gray and her London Shadowhunter companions of the Victorian era. She left America in search of her brother; instead, she found the truth about her identity and the reason behind her existence. But she isn't letting herself be a pawn to the annihilation of Shadowhunters, is she?

Spoilers for the entire series are definitely included. 

Consider yourself warned.










"Demons" by Imagine Dragons

I wanna hide the truth
I wanna shelter you
But with the beast inside
There's nowhere we can hide

When you feel my heat
Look into my eyes
It's where my demons hide
It's where my demons hide
Don't get too close
It's dark inside
It's where my demons hide
It's where my demons hide

I was touched and hurt by the life and death of William Herondale. He is one hell of a swoon-worthy character. So when I first heard this after crying my eyes out in Clockwork Princess, I seriously shed more tears because this reminds me so much of him - everytime. 

Even though he just thought his curse existed, Will still put a lot of effort in trying to stir people away from him, especially Tessa. This song fits the broken blue-eyed boy.

"Tessa snorted. 'And what color do you suppose the inner depths of your soul are, Will Herondale?'
'Mauve,' said Will."
[Clockwork Prince by Cassandra Clare]
                   


"The Enemy" by Mumford and Sons

But I came and I was nothing
And time will give us nothing
So why did you choose to lean on
A man you knew was falling?

When Tessa revealed to Will her love and engagement to Jem, I cannot help but think that - despite Will's love and respect for the both of them - he wondered why she chose to lean on someone they knew was falling. 



"Poison & Wine" by The Civil Wars

I wish you'd hold me when I turn my back
The less I give the more I get back
Oh your hands can heal, your hands can bruise
I don't have a choice but I'd still choose you

Oh I don't love you but I always will
I always will

Indeed, another for Wessa. They are just perfect and so it this song.




"Please Don't Say You Love Me" by Gabrielle Aplin

Just please don't say you love me
'Cause I might not say it back
Doesn't mean my heart stops skipping when you look at me like that

For Will and Tessa and their adorable, in denial relationship.

"She [Old Molly] made a snorting noise, astonishingly human for a ghost. 'I 'ardly like to tell you this, Nephilim, but if you want a girl to 'ate you, there's easy enough ways to make it 'appen. You don't need my help with the poor thing.'
"And with that, she vanished, spinning away into the mists among the graves. Will, looking after her, sighed. 'Not for her,' he said, under his breath, though there was no one to hear him, 'for me...' and he leaned his head against the col iron gate."
[Clockwork Prince by Cassandra Clare]




"Angels" by The xx

And everyday
I'm learning about you
 The things that no one else sees
And the comes too soon
Like dreaming of angels

So far, this playlist has been consisting of my fangirling for Will and Tessa. Sorry not sorry.




"Home" by Phillip Phillips

Just know you're not alone
I'm gonna make this place your home


Still for Wessa, although not about their romance. Not exactly, anyway.


Both Will and Tessa was left completely, utterly alone - although in different circumstances. They took refuge in the London Institute, courtesy of the care of Charlotte. The Institute does not just serve as a headquarters for London Shadowhunters; it is also their home. And all the love found in its hallways, no matter how rude it may seem on the outside, is really breathtaking and heartwarming and touching. It's just... [no words can describe]


The story in lyrics, sounds, and notes are a pretty huge part in my life as well as books so to finally share this feature with you all is a really relieving experience. It was fun: to suddenly well up with tears and find your heart palpitating with excitement when you hear that certain song click with a story that has made a mark. And so I hope for you to enjoy and appreciate these pieces and for me to be able to do more of these.








No comments:

Post a Comment