Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Bout of Books 16.0: Fantastic Films and Why You Should Watch Them

I love stories and that includes any media that it can be told, such as movies/films/reason-for-all-existence. As an aspiring filmmaker and an average movie addict, I've had my share of the good and bad in the world of cinema. Of course, like every goddamn book boyfriend there is, the good ones always have a place in my heart.

(These are randomly ordered, btw.)


  1. The Royal Tenenbaums (2001)
    Wes Anderson's films are a work of art, literally. Even just movie stills deserve framing and a gallery. While his works are all aesthetically pleasing and really OCD-quenching, it was the deep story of family drama that made The Royal Tenenbaums my favorite among all. It was a perfect mix of comedy, seriousness and spectacle, while dealing with true-to-life familial issues. The film bordered on ridiculous and even, satirical and that's what makes it real and enchanting.
  2. V for Vendetta (2005)
    Even with just V's alliteration skills, this movie deserves an applause. V for Vendetta is a futuristic retelling of the burning of British Parliament on November 5th but it quickly became more than an anonymous hero saving a young woman. It was about gaining strength to change the society that is ending the world.
  3. Children of Men (2006)
    One of the most realistic apocalyptic movies I have ever seen. It's the world without fertility, without a future. An unsuspecting man tasked to protect the only hope left, a fetus growing inside a womb. Even just the premise was amazing and surely captivating. I found the filmmaking aspects quite unique as well, as it focused solely on the main character - throughout the entire movie - truly placing the audience in his position. 
      

  4. The Normal Heart (2014)
    I am all about the LGBT++ community. And I am also all about Matt Bomer. When my friend recommended this movie, I couldn't resist. It was a torturous whirlwind of love, heartbreak, pain, sickness, and the fight to equality and I love it all the way. The acting was truly sublime that I found myself falling in love when they did and getting angry when they did and hurting inside when they did. 
  5. Room (2015)
    A mother's love is nearly uncapturable and yet Room managed to get it all so smoothly in 2 hours. A young mother and son caged in a single room for years. It was bound to get everyone wheezing from tears. It was incredibly moving and breathtaking at every struggle for freedom and every push forward. 



This was a truly hard list to make, having to choose only 5 movies. I can't not at least mention Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016). I'm a die hard Batman and DC fan and despite its flaws, I still loved and enjoyed Snyder's latest creation and homage to the comics. And of course, I would be shaming the name of great movies if I were to omit Inception (2010). Christopher Nolan is my favorite director beside Wes Anderson and all his movies *ehem The Dark Knight ehem* are all mindblowing and awesome that if the list were longer, it would dominate. Inception, however, was the biggest mindfuck there is.

My first challenge this whole Bout of Books and it was a joy to reminisce the great film creations (for me, anyway) to have come and gone. May the future hold more.

How about you? Any movies from my list you've watched and enjoyed like I did? Do you have great suggestions of your own?

No comments:

Post a Comment